Tricoter re-creates the spirit of a knitting circle. The dance winds and unwinds through and around the public who are arranged in the round. Yarn is integrated into the choreography and weaves an architecture that links public and place to the dancer.
While dancing, the yarn gets tangled in a large knot of bright colours and the memories that knitting occupy in our own family history re-emerge. We experience Tricoter through play, curiosity, and exploration of belonging to a community.
We can offer interactive workshops inspired by the performance: finger and arm knitting or creative movement with yarn.
Premiered at SKAMpede festival in Victoria in June 2016! Thanks Theatre Skam for your support. Tricoter is also part of Des arts dehors/ Arts Outside by Made in BC – Dance on Tour and Jouer Dehors program from La danse sur les routes du Québec
Tricoter’s dates and places:
- SKAMpede Festival, July 8-10 2016 (Victoria, BC)
- Vancouver Big Draw, October 1 2016, Sunset C. Ctr.
- Family Fuse, Vancouver Art Gallery, December 11 2016
- Vancouver Central Library, International Dance Day, April 29 2017
- Vitrine de la danse francophone, Richmond, 15 juin 2017, organisé par le Réseau des grands espaces, le Conseil culturel et artistique francophone de la C-B, la Rafa et Made in BC – Dance on Tour.
- Célébrations Canada 150, Grandville Island Vancouver Caentre Francophone de Vancouver, July 22&23 2017,
- Célébrations Canada 150, City of Port Coquitlam, New Works, August 26 2017
- Contact Ouest in Yellowknife NT, Réseau des grands Espaces, September 15 2017
- Dance in Vancouver Biennale, SFU Woodwards’ Atrium, November 23 2017
- Stay tuned for dates in Québec and Ontario in 2018 and 2019.
Photo credit: Anita Bonnarens and the Vancouver Art Gallery, Dancer: Sarah Gallos. In video, Sarah Gallos with viola player and composer Elliot Vaughan. Video credit: Julie Lebel.